Safety and safety improvement in the Australian rail transport industry is a fundamental objective of ONRSR.
ONRSR will encourage, enable and support the national rail industry by:
- working with industry stakeholders to develop an industry owned national rail safety risk model
- identifying risk-based safety improvement initiatives which build industry capacity
- supporting safety research and identifying best practice in safety risk management and assurance
- conducting dedicated forums
- working with industry on the development and adoption of Rail Industry Safety and Standards Board (RISSB) standards
- supporting industry stakeholders to develop and implement safety improvement initiatives
- supplementing industry and other standards with ONRSR guidance or approved codes of practice
- recommending changes to legislation to improve the functioning of the Rail Safety National Law
- providing a consistent and clear regulatory platform.
In doing so, ONRSR will continue to work with industry to identify local and national risk and develop safety improvement tools and guidance material that are scalable.
Last updated: 6 May 2020