Safety alerts are issued as needed to inform accredited rail transport operators and the broader rail industry of current and emerging safety issues.
- RSA-2018-001 Identification of Asbestos in Draft Gear Pocket Wear Liner
26 September 2018
ONRSR alerts all operators to the identification of Chrysotile (white asbestos) in the top coupler / yoke pin wear liner of the draft pocket on a locomotive.
- Asbestos found in imported friction wear plates in rail carriages – WA Government alert
21 November 2017
Asbestos has recently been found in friction wear plates in the suspension systems of rail carriages.
- RSA-2016-01 Site specific risk assessments when using Road Rail Vehicles
25 August 2016
Notice to Rail Transport Operators, 24 August 2016.
- RSA-2015-01 Identification of asbestos gasket in coal wagon valves
19 January 2015
This Safety Alert states the ONRSR has been advised by Asciano of the idenfitication of an asbestos gasket in a valve on a Pacific National coal wagon.
- RSA-2014-03 Operational interfaces between Rail Infrastructure Managers and Rolling Stock Operators – mixed and dual gauge turnouts
20 August 2014
This safety alert states that due to the design of the wheel transfer area of some mixed and dual gauge turnouts, rolling stock with wheelsets of 127mm rim width are at higher risk of derailment than wheelsets of 140mm rim width.
- RSA-2014-02 Thermal spraying
3 April 2014
This Safety Alert states a major passenger operator recently suffered an axle failure on one of its electric multiple unit fleet.
- RSA-2014-01 Structural fatigue failure of wagon underframe
17 March 2014
This Safety Alert states a PQMY container flat wagon suffered a significant fatigue failure at a sectional change in the under-frame (ie. main longitudinal beams).
- RSA-2013-02 Coupling systems and brake systems fitted to infrastructure trolleys and trailers
18 November 2013
This Safety Alert states that Rail Transport Operators should examine all risks associated with using Road Rail Vehicles (RRV) to tow/push rolling stock.
- RSA-2013-01 Derailers - Failure to derail due to faulty design, installation, maintenance or operation
26 April 2013
This Safety Alert states that the Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator was recently notified of an incident in which rolling stock travelled over a derailer without derailing.
Safety bulletins are published by ONRSR periodically and are designed to focus on areas of rail safety concern. Bulletins provide detail on specific safety topics, share information between the regulator and the rail industry, and identify positive steps to enhance rail safety.
- Safety Bulletin: Management of emergency working (unplanned works)
27 March 2018
ONRSR is reminding all rail transport operators to be aware of the inherent risks associated with undertaking emergency or unplanned maintenance.
- Safety Bulletin: ATSB investigation report findings on use of bio-mathematical models of human fatigue – learnings for the rail industry
15 December 2017
An ATSB-identified limitation of use of the bio-mathematical model FAID has relevance to the rail industry.
- Safety Bulletin: Accreditation scope
14 December 2017
ONRSR is reminding all rail transport operators of the fundamental safety risk posed by either deliberately or unintentionally working outside the scope of accreditation.
- Safety Bulletin: Loading irregularities
13 December 2017
A recent noticeable trend of loading irregularities among freight operators is cause for concern.
- Technical Review: Wheel Failure Incidents and Other Data in the Hunter Valley: 2013–2015
4 October 2017
A review of the metallurgical and associated factors covering eight wheel failure incidents, issued for the benefit of like-for-like railways.
- Safety Bulletin: Compliance auditing of contractors and other duty-holders
5 July 2017
Contractors are reminded that design companies must follow a robust process and ensure that signalling designs are rigorously tested and commissioned before being made operational.
- Safety Bulletin: Labour hire and fatigue management – the pitfalls for operators
3 July 2017
Expectations of clear, agreed processes for the monitoring of fatigue between operators and their contractors and/or labour hire companies.
- Safety Bulletin: ONRSR Road Rail Vehicle National Project – Human Factors Observations
4 April 2017
Sets out ONRSR's road rail vehicle (RRV) human factors observations and analyses.
- Safety Bulletin: Preventing unbraked runaways of permanently coupled wagons with shared braking platforms
11 November 2014
The ONRSR is concerned about the risk of permanently coupled pairs of freight wagons, which share a braking system, becoming uncoupled and resulting in a runaway. Rail operators are expected to reassess the risk/s associated with permanently coupled wagons and consider additional measures to mitigate these risks.