Safety alerts are issued as needed to inform accredited rail transport operators and the broader rail industry of current and emerging safety issues.
- Safety Alert - Use of rail vehicle lifting jacks
16 April 2019
Safety Alert Notice to Rail Transport Operators - Use of rail vehicle lifting jacks
- Safety Alert - RSA-2019-001 - Identification of asbestos
17 January 2019
RSA 2019-001 - Identification of asbestos on locomotive main air reservoir gasket
- Safety Alert: Use of Electronically Controlled Pneumatic braking and Automatic Train Protection systems
20 November 2018
ONRSR alerts all operators on the actions that should be taken by rail transport operators utilising ECP braking systems.
- RSA-2018-001 Identification of Asbestos in Draft Gear Pocket Wear Liner
26 September 2018
ONRSR alerts all operators to the identification of Chrysotile (white asbestos) in the top coupler / yoke pin wear liner of the draft pocket on a locomotive.
- RSA-2016-01 Site specific risk assessments when using Road Rail Vehicles
25 August 2016
Notice to Rail Transport Operators, 24 August 2016.
- RSA-2015-01 Identification of asbestos gasket in coal wagon valves
19 January 2015
This Safety Alert states the ONRSR has been advised by Asciano of the idenfitication of an asbestos gasket in a valve on a Pacific National coal wagon.
- RSA-2014-03 Operational interfaces between Rail Infrastructure Managers and Rolling Stock Operators – mixed and dual gauge turnouts
20 August 2014
This safety alert states that due to the design of the wheel transfer area of some mixed and dual gauge turnouts, rolling stock with wheelsets of 127mm rim width are at higher risk of derailment than wheelsets of 140mm rim width.
- RSA-2014-02 Thermal spraying
3 April 2014
This Safety Alert states a major passenger operator recently suffered an axle failure on one of its electric multiple unit fleet.
- RSA-2014-01 Structural fatigue failure of wagon underframe
17 March 2014
This Safety Alert states a PQMY container flat wagon suffered a significant fatigue failure at a sectional change in the under-frame (ie. main longitudinal beams).
- RSA-2013-02 Coupling systems and brake systems fitted to infrastructure trolleys and trailers
18 November 2013
This Safety Alert states that Rail Transport Operators should examine all risks associated with using Road Rail Vehicles (RRV) to tow/push rolling stock.
- RSA-2013-01 Derailers - Failure to derail due to faulty design, installation, maintenance or operation
26 April 2013
This Safety Alert states that the Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator was recently notified of an incident in which rolling stock travelled over a derailer without derailing.